Wednesday, December 26, 2012

My British Roots and Historical Romance Novella Into the Lion's Heart---Beth Trissel


"I simply adored INTO THE LION'S HEART by Beth Trissel. I'm not an avid reader of historical romances or even the simply sweet romances, but this tale kissed a delicate smile on my face and I have to admit, my heart melted. Not only was the writing superb and in context with the time and place, but the plot itself was very well done."
 Book Reviewed by Erinne 
"A brilliant historical romance by Beth Trissel..If you love a beautiful historical romance you will enjoy this story!
 Rating: 5 out of 5 stars Reviewer: Wanda for Romance Writer's Reviews
Regarding my historical romance novella, Into the Lion's Heart, I spent as much time researching and writing this story as I would a full novel. Partly because I'm a research nut and partly because this is the nearest I can come to time travel. I enjoy my treks into the past. In fact, the connection I feel to those who’ve gone before me is the ongoing inspiration behind all my historical romances, including the time travels in my ‘Somewhere in Time series.  I’ve done a great deal of research into family genealogy and come from well-documented English/Scots-Irish folk with a smidgen of French in the meld, a Norman knight who sailed with William the Conqueror.  How kewl is that?
One family line goes directly back to Geoffrey Chaucer.  And there’s a puritan line with involvement in the Salem Witch Trials—my apologies to Susannah Martin’s descendants–but that’s another story.  With Into the Lion’s Heart, I more deeply explored my British ancestry.
Set in 1789 England, the story opens with the hero, Captain Dalton Evans (fought in the American Revolution) journeying to Dover to meet the ship carrying a distant cousin, Mademoiselle Sophia Devereux, who’s fleeing theFrench Revolution.  '
*Pause here to note all the research the revolution took, not to mention Georgian England in general, Cornwall in particular, rum smuggling, stage-coach travel and sailing in the late 18th century….you get the idea. But I digress. Back to Dalton who’s irked with his mission, not only because he finds it tedious, but he resents the French, partly as a result of their aid to the Americans during the war and some of the Frenchmen he fought during that lost cause.  Plus he thinks French aristocrats are arrogant.  However, the young woman he rescues from the sinking ship is nothing like he expects and rocks his world.
During all the copious research, I discovered this is a fascinating time period on both sides of the channel.  I’m already hooked on The Scarlet Pimpernel, having read all the books in that series several times and watched every film version (ask about my favorites) and am drawn to other novels and productions set in this era, such as the rich epic series, Poldark–read the books and own the Masterpiece Theater production. If you never read or watched either series you've missed out big time.
As to the language ‘thing,’ my youngest daughter, Elise, a 2010 summa cum laude graduate with a double major in art and French, was a huge help with the sprinkling of French words and phrases.  And she can debate with anyone who begs to differ with her translation, why she chose a particular verb or whatever.  My French is weak, so I’m going with her and will just say it’s a beautiful language.  I hope you enjoy the story.
Blurb: As the French Revolution rages, the English nobility offer sanctuary to many a refugee. Captain Dalton Evans arrives in Dover to meet a distant cousin, expecting to see a spoiled aristocrat. Instead, he’s conquered by the simplicity of his new charge. And his best friend Thomas Archer isn’t immune to her artless charm, either.
Cecile Beaumont didn’t choose to travel across the Channel. And she certainly didn’t expect that impersonating her own mistress would introduce her to a most mesmerizing man. Now she must play out the masquerade, or risk life, freedom – and her heart.~
Into the Lion’s Heart is available at The Wild Rose PressAmazon Kindle,Barnes & Noble, and other online booksellers.

No comments:

Post a Comment