Tuesday, March 13, 2018

April Online #Herbal Lore Class–Beth Trissel

If you missed my other classes, or want to catch the updated version, I'm giving my Herbal Lore and the Historic Medicinal Uses of Herbs class in April for Charter Oak Romance Writers. Non-members are welcome to join in. Register at this link. Scroll down: http://charteroakromancewriters.com/on-line-classes-2018
(Dill and heirloom poppies from Monticello in our garden)
This workshop spans centuries of herbs and their lore from the ancients, through the British Isles, Colonial America, Native Americans, the Granny Women and the Mountain People of the Blue Ridge and Alleghenies (general Appalachia).

Mountains are all around us here in the Shenandoah Valley. This area is rich in history and plants, and people who went to great lengths to thwart witches. Seriously.

There's so much fascinating stuff to cover. Too much, so I encourage participants to download and save the files for later. I also welcome discussion and questions. It's more enjoyable with participation.

My aim is for this class to be fun, informative and useful. I often incorporate herbs into my writing and into my life. Some of the more archaic uses are frowned upon today, and/or illegal. I recommend avoiding those practices.
Class members will receive the eBook of my herbal, Plants for A Medieval Herb Garden in the British Isles (also available in print if anyone's interested).
This is my class outline, but I guarantee I will post even more than this. I have a wealth of information to share, and am accumulating more.



Week One:
Introduction to the workshop and meet & greet.


The wisdom of Native Americans. A focus on Native American herbs.
The Granny Women. A focus on the mountain people and old time cures, both herbal and some white magic.



Week Two:
Colonial American herbs (Part One)


Colonial American herbs (Part Two)




Week Three:
Plants for a Medieval Herb Garden in the British Isles


Other related posts on herbs in the British Isles, including the Druids.




Week Four:

‘What can kill can cure’ but definitely kill and watch out for werewolves (Poisonous herbs and those believed to have power against werewolves and vampires)


For protection from spells and enchantment, the sacred, healing herbs
Knock yourself out and Ward off the Plague: Dwale, an Old-English Antiseptic


The Vinegar of the Four Thieves
An opportunity for final sharing from participants. 







“As Rosemary is to the Spirit, so Lavender is to the Soul.”
– Anonymous


Here's the registration link again: http://charteroakromancewriters.com/on-line-classes-2018

No comments:

Post a Comment