Saturday, January 28, 2017

Happy Boots, Happy Self

happy-garden-farm-bootsI've been thinking about my garden/farm boots a lot lately, partly because I haven't ordered a new pair in two years, and daughter Alison is also debating this question. We're fans of the colorful spirit-lifting kind. She's torn about which pair to get. Initially, you can get away with one pair of oh, say yellow polka dot boots for everyday and town wear, if you hose them off after feeding the goats, chickens, etc. But it doesn't take long before the gloss is gone. Mud and manure take their toll, which leaves you really needing two pairs. 
I've actually accumulated three of the same happy print over the years. They've held up well, but one pair has formed a small hole in the sole--easily detected when wearing them in the wet--and all have lost their shine. No zip left. Question is, do I get another identical pair because they're so swell, or risk a new pattern?
My son-in-law asked why not just wear plain black, which better endure and are what most men favor. My farmer husband and son do. Alison said her soul would be just as dark while wearing them. Where's the fun in that?
What it gets down to is having the money to purchase alternate pairs of the same puddle splashing, mud slogging, critter feeding (and other stuff) boots. It can seem rather frivolous when watching your budget. However, when my last new pair were still fresh enough for town, I wore them to get allergy shots to the delight of nurses and patients, and cheered passersby at the grocery store. I brought joy and light with me wherever I went/skipped. There's far more to boots than you may realize. Children know this.
Ask a kid if they want yellow/pink polka dots, bright flowers, happy animals, or back boots and see.
"Everyone chases happiness, not noticing that happiness is at their heels" – Bertolt Brecht (Literally, if you're wearing the boots.)
One of my current glossless pairs pictured above. For those eager to know, these are called Sloggers and sold at Amazon. Isn't everything?

No comments:

Post a Comment