Sunday, January 2, 2011

David Austen's Magnificent Roses

Abraham Darby, my favorite David Austen rose, picture by my daughter EliseQuantcast
“I perhaps owe having become a painter to flowers.”
~ Claude Monet
Beauty inspires my own word paintings.

English breeder David Austen’s roses are exquisite. To quote his website: “After fifty years of intensive breeding, David Austin’s English Roses combine the forms and fragrances of old roses with the repeat flowering of modern roses. They are very easy to grow, healthy and reliable.”

I struggle to raise the traditional hybrid teas which are not as well suited to our sometimes bitter winters here in The Shenandoah Valley, and more demanding in general to culitvate. Austen roses have far more vigor and I love the way he combines the old look and fragrance with repeat bloom. I have a small collection and am slowly adding.  Several new ones joined my little rose family last spring and we shall see if they survive this winter on top of last summer's searing drought.  I hope so.

His website and rose catalogue draw you into a wonderfully inviting world of fragrance and satiny petals in a glorious array of hues.  Perpetual, glorious spring and summer.
 
http://www.davidaustinroses.com/english/Advanced.asp


No comments:

Post a Comment