Friday, May 12, 2017

I Got A New Puppy. The End.


















(Cooper--a Morkie puppy)
If you've ever had a new puppy, you know what I'm talking about. The end of life before puppy (BP) breaks loose. In this case, his name is Cooper, so it's BC. Has a biblical ring to it, but his whole name is Special Agent Dale Cooper from the eccentric FBI agent in Twin Peaks. Daughter Elise got me into the show. Back to Puppy Cooper. Oh my gosh, what a week it's been. First, we had the never-ending car ride there and back (back was twice as long) to get the little guy on Sunday. Cooper is from South Carolina. We live in Virginia. Traffic was bad. Toward the end, I was singing the lyrics to the Sloop John B (Beach Boys), especially this bit:
'Let me go home
Why don't they let me go home
This is the worst trip I've ever been on.'
We finally made it home, and Cooper has a nice puppy playpen setup instead of a crate. I call it base camp, and it has his bed, toys, water, pee pad.. He tolerates it pretty well, except for those incensed occasions when he doesn't. The family all love him and have descended in adoring droves. But after everyone leaves, he looks around to ask 'where did they all go?' Yep. He's a tad spoiled.
I badly needed a little friend after my dear Sadie died of congestive heart failure about the time Cooper was born. He just turned nine weeks old. He's already touchingly devoted to me, and declares in every way possible, that I am his person. At the moment, he's also a chewy little dog who wants the run of the house but isn't housebroken yet. Plus, as often happens to pups with the stress of moving to a new home, he got an upset tummy. This has resulted in a lot of extra cleanups, worry, phone calls to the vet, and a trip to the clinic. He's now on a special diet, probiotics, and medication. So far--knock wood--he's better today. Cooper is a Morkie--a Yorkie Maltese mix, but more Yorkie than Maltese. These pups are especially prone to tummy upset.
I've lined the couch with bedding so he can play up and down the length of it while I'm on my laptop--during those occasions when he's not trying to eat it. And he loves to sit with me, which is good, because that will be his job. Sadie has passed the torch to this tiny boy. I still miss her terribly. Part of me always will. But I am glad for my new buddy, despite all the work of a new puppy.
Welcome little Cooper. You are finding your place in my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment