Sunday, July 18, 2010

All Of My Books To Date

As Galadriel said to Frodo in The Lord of the Rings, “You are a Ring-bearer, Frodo. To bear a Ring of Power is to be alone. To be passionate about history so that you feel it in your very essence and long to commune with the past is often to be alone.  One profound way I’ve found to connect with those who have gone before me is through my writing.  My work reflects the heart and soul invested in each word.

Years ago while researching family genealogy, I gained the courage to take the leap from penning non-fiction essays about rural life and plunge into writing historical romance novels set in early America. That first story, Red Bird’s Song, written and rewritten more than any other is the book of my heart. ~Coming to The Wild Rose Press 9/10/2010.

The original  manuscript, about the length of Gone With The Wind, had to be considerably reduced.  It was wrenching to let so much go and rework the novel without cutting out the heart of the story, but I did.  The initial idea for the plot came to me in a dream on New Year’s Eve fifteen years ago, a  highly propitious time to embark down a new road.  Many dreams have guided me on my way.
Raw, powerful, the colonial frontier drew me with stirring tales of the French and Indian War, Pontiac, and Lord Dunmore’s War.  My ancestors had interactions with the most feared tribe of that day, the Shawnee, including family members taken captive.  Some forebears returned with tales to tell, others didn’t; no one knows what happened to them except in my imaginings.

One man captured as a child and adopted into the tribe, was later restored to his white family.   He returned to the Shawnee and then journeyed back and forth between the English and Indian world, trying to keep a foot in both.  Much of my writing features my early Scot-Irish forebears who settled in the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia and surrounding mountains, spreading into the Carolinas and Tennessee. The beauty of my valley and the surrounding mountains inspires me.
 
My extensive research has been generously aided by historians, anthropologists, archeologists, colonial reenactors and the Shawnee themselves.  Not to mention a mountain of reading, all of which also helped fuel the writing of colonial Native American Romance novel Through the Fire. Though published first, Through the Fire was initially written after Red Bird’s Song.

This communion with the past is my motivation for the novels I create.  I’m thankful that at the Wild Rose Press a good story is judged according to its merits and not the perceived popularity of the time period.  I write for two different lines at the Wild Rose, historical and light paranormal, and am privileged to have fabulous editors.

So, welcome to the colonial frontier where the men fire muskets and wield tomahawks and the women are wildcats when threatened. Hear the primal howl of a wolf and the liquid spill of a mountain stream. Are those war whoops in the distance? Ever heard of bearwalking?  You will after you read Daughter of the Wind.

Daughter of the Wind is a light paranormal/historical fantasy romance with strong American historical roots. Set among the clannish Scots-Irish in the mist-shrouded Alleghenies, it’s a tale of the clash between peoples and young lovers caught in the middle. Ever influenced by my regard for Eastern Woodland Indians, I interwove mystical, Native American elements with ‘Daughter.’

A Handsome frontiersman, Mysterious Scotswoman, Dark Secret, Pulsing Romance…DAUGHTER OF THE WIND..

“I loved the plot of this story, oh and the setting was wonderful. I just can’t believe how much detail the author went into without being boring about it. Ms. Trissel is great at creating believable and lovable characters.”~Ruby Lee, reviewer with Mistress Bella Reviews

Through the Fire is an adventure romance with a The Last of the Mohicans flavor and a mystical weave.  Some of the most unusual aspects of this story are based on individuals who really lived. A passionate love story set during the French and Indian War, Through the Fire has finaled in more contests than any I’ve written, including the prestigious 2008 Golden Heart®.
 
The French and Indian War, a Shawnee warrior, an English lady, blood vengeance, deadly pursuit, primal, powerful, passionate…THROUGH THE FIRE.

“Ms Trissel spins a very fine yarn with Through the Fire. 
Her vivid imagery takes you right back into the action. The colours, scents and views tickle the senses. 
The deep description of scenery and historical setting gave me just the right idea of what Rebecca went through, both physically and emotionally. Ms Trissel knows how to tell a wonderful tale. 

A beautifully written love story, with enough dangers lurking to keep us on our toes. Perfect reading material.” 

Not to neglect my fascination with gracious old homes and the high drama of the American Revolution. Another passion of mine.  I have ancestors who fought and loved on both sides of that sweeping conflict. My research into the Southern face of the war was partly inspired by my great-great-great grandfather, Sam Houston, uncle of the famous Sam, who kept a journal of the Battle of Guilford Courthouse, North Carolina, 1781, that is used by historians today.  Stick around for a wild ride into Carolina Back County and the battle between Patriots and Tories. Our hero is the former and our heroine the latter.  Both of them bear names that belonged to my ancestors.

Enemy of the King, a historical romance with paranormal element,  is my version of The Patriot. A big fan of Daphne Du Maurier since my teens, I was also influenced by her mystery/ghost story, Rebecca. Our Virginia home place, circa 1816, and other early homes left deep impressions on me. I’ve long harbored suspicions that those who’ve gone before us are not always entirely gone.  Most of all, I’m a Southern Virginia author, and it shows.

1780 South Carolina, spies and intrigue, a vindictive ghost, the battle of King’s Mountain, Patriots and Tories, pounding adventure, pulsing romance…ENEMY OF THE KING.

“I thoroughly enjoyed reading Enemy of the King. Not only are the characters memorable and the setting beautifully described, but the action is riveting and the romance between Meri and Jeremiah is tender. I highly recommend Enemy of the King to anyone who loves a well crafted historical romance.”
~Poinsettia at Long and Short Reviews


Which brings me back around to my first release, Somewhere My Love, a murder mystery/ghost story romance with flashbacks to early nineteenth century Virginia and Hamlet parallels.   Somewhere My Love won the 2008 Preditors &Editors Award Readers Poll for Best Romance Novel.  Most recently, it won the clash of covers contest at Embrace the Shadows blogspot.

Star-crossed lovers, flashbacks to early 18th century Virginia, ghostly, murder mystery, light paranormal romance, Gothic flavors…SOMEWHERE MY LOVE.

“Ms. Trissel has woven a wonderful story of historical love, mystery, and intrigue. Her poetic prose made for a delightful read. Her descriptions captured the essence of the home, and I felt as though I’d been transformed as a guest. I enjoyed watching Will and Julia discover their love for each other as events unfolded at the Foxleigh House. I would definitely recommend this novel to anyone looking for a good story, excellent writing, and a heartwarming love story.“ 
~Reviewed by Jenny Gilliam for Writers and Readers of Distinctive Fiction

“As I read Somewhere My Love, I recalled the feelings I experienced the first time I read Daphne DuMaurier’s Rebecca long ago. Using deliciously eerie elements similar to that gothic romance, Beth Trissel has captured the haunting dangers, thrilling suspense and innocent passions that evoke the same tingly anticipation and heartfelt romance I so enjoyed then, and still do now.” ~ Joysann, Publishers Weekly

In my recent release, Somewhere My Lass, a suspenseful Scottish time travel, I’ve hearkened even further back to my Scottish roots.  Speaking of dreams, that’s how I came by the opening to this story.
 
An ancient relic, a medieval crypt, a mad highlander at their throats and time fast running out.  Mystery, suspense, romance, Somewhere My Lass.

Ms. Trissel masterfully blended the past and the present in order to create a lovely romance that spans centuries. I highly recommend Somewhere My Lass to anyone looking for a touching tale of love and friendship.” ~Poinsettia reviewer for Long and Short Reviews

Daughter of the Wind, Enemy of the King, Through the Fire, Somewhere My Lass and An American Rose Christmas Anthology won book of the week at Long and Short Reviews.  Each of these novels, and the anthology,  received fabulous reviews.  Highly gratifying, but I would write my stories anyway.  I will always write what I love.  Otherwise, the character don’t speak to me.

My books are available in print and digital download at The Wild Rose Press and many other online booksellers.  The most popular are Amazon and Barnes&Noble.  Local bookstores can order them in, so can your library.

No comments:

Post a Comment